Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Last Day at Whitmore Charter

This school year has not got off to a good start.  Mikayla's home room teacher, who is also the math teacher for the entire middle school, has been horrible to say the least.  I have complained to the administration just about every single day since the first day of school and the only response I get is "we will continue to work with him."  The guy has supposedly taught for 12 years!  If he doesn't know what he is doing by now, he should probably be doing something else.

Friday both girls came home with the exact same homework.  Mikayla is in 6th grade and Ashlee is in the 8th grade, there is no possible way they could both be learning the exact same thing.  When I found out that they had the same homework, which was homework neither one of them could do, I went to the Vice Principal, she was surprised that they both had the same thing and said she would look in to it and get back to me, but she never got back to me.  Then Mikayla proceeded to tell me that he had her and another student, go sit in the front of the class, and mumbled something like "because they have problems" (he was referring to her hearing impairment) not okay at all.  In the days prior to this he couldn't even turn on the computer to take attendance and had to have a student show him how to the attendance (a student shouldn't even know how to do the attendance).

So after lot's of sleepless nights and listening to the girls complaining every single day, I decided to take them to tour Ballico School.  The school I went to.  We were very impressed with the principal and his conservative philosophy.  We liked what we saw and heard.  Mikayla was ready to start school at Ballico, Ashlee was hesitant.  It's her 8th grade year, she wanted to graduate with her friends and she didn't want to leave them.  After weighing the pros and the cons.  We decided to move the girls to Ballico School.

It was a hard decision.  We had made so many friends at Whitmore and knew so many of the families there.  I had been active in the Parent Booster Club there since Mikayla was in Kindergarten and they had made lots of memories there.  But we felt like it was something we should do.

The last day was hard, I had teachers and other staff members coming up to me in the parking lot, the girls had to say good bye to their friends, and leave their home away from home.

I wasn't able to get any pictures of that day, because we were running a bit behind with everything going on, but one of the teachers aids texted me a picture and Ashlee was able to take some pictures on her phone.

Mariah, Lauren, Ashlee and Alyssa

Brooke, Allison and Mikayla





No comments: