June just flew by; but at the same time, it kind of made me stop and think about the path we are on and where we are headed, because in a split second your life can change forever. I don't know where to start, or exactly how to word this post, so I am just going to write what comes to my mind and write about the things that happened this month. On June 11th I received a phone call early in the morning from my friend Meliesa. Meliesa asked me if I had heard from our friend Heidi. I said no. Meliesa proceeded to tell me that Heidi called her and said that her husband had been in an accident out by our house. She asked me if I could go to the accident an help her. I grabbed my purse and headed out the door. As soon as I arrived at the scene of the accident, the Medi-Flight helicopter was lifting off the ground. I went over to my friend Heidi, hugged her and tried to help her the best I could. The first word's out of her mouth were "they think they are going to have to amputate his foot." Heidi's husband Josh was on a motorcyle on his way to work in Gilroy and a truck with a trailer full of calves, ran a stop sign and hit him. Josh's foot was pinned between the motorcycle and the bumper of the truck and he was pushed 20 feet. Josh's foot suffered irreparable damage and had to be amputated.
I have never been one of those people, that seems to know what to say or how to help people get through difficult times and that really bugs me. I want people to know that I do care and I am willing and able to help, but finding the words just doesn't come easy for me. I felt so helpless. I wanted to help our friends, but I didn't know what they needed or how to help; but on the other hand, I didn't want to be a pain and keep bugging them either. Our family wanted to help Josh and Heidi and their 5 girls, we wanted them to know that we were thinking about them, that they were in our thoughts and prayers and that we were ready to help them with whatever they needed, so we did what we seem to know how to do best, and that was work. John went to their home and with the help of some members from their ward and Josh's brother, they started gutting out and remodeling their bathroom (the bathroom needed to be remodeled in order to be accessible for Josh). The girls and I along with Heidi's mom and some members from their ward went and helped clean and organize the house. We did what needed to be done. I still feel like I should be doing more, but I just don't know what to do.
Life truely is a blessing. Never take it for granted and live each day to the fullest. You never know when your life will change forever. It seems as though so many people that I know are going through really difficult and trying times recently and it really has got me thinking about the path we are on. A guy that I grew up with was 34 years old, married with 3 kids and lost his life to cancer a few days ago. Another person I grew up with had their 5th child a few days ago and the child has health issues and has been in NICU. Another friend has a two year old neice that got ecoli and is in the hospital having to receive dialysis treatments because her kidney's shut down. Life is a blessing and shouldn't be taken for granted. Do the math, count your blessings and appreciate every blessing you have!
2 comments:
thanks for sharing! It's good to remember how blessed myself and my family are!
Very moving post - loved how you shared what's in your heart and so very honest about..
Hugs..
Post a Comment