Friday, June 3rd was my 34th birthday. Birthday's around our house (for John & I) just kind of seem to be slightly acknowledged. I don't know why this is so, but it just seems to happen that way. I think we get so caught up in making a living that we forget to live a life. Definitely something we need to work on. I feel that we are not setting a good example for our children when it comes to things like birthdays, holidays, date nights, anniversaries, etc. and they are going to end up repeating the process in their own families someday. This year was a bit different though.
Earlier in the week John got a hold of my phone and sent text messages to a couple of my friends and made plans to set up a surprise birthday dinner(I didn't know about this). Unfortunately, Mikayla got sick so the plans were put on hold. Instead, I took Ashlee to swim practice, came home, made dinner, and a friend from church brought over a dessert.
Saturday Ashlee and I got up bright and early and headed to a swim meet. It was cold and raining. It rained non-stop. After 3 hours of being in the rain and being cold and wet, we decided to pack up and head home. On the way home my mom calls and asks me where I am at the swim meet because she is there is 3 dozen cupcakes. She said "John had a birthday surprise planned for you, but when Mikayla got sick everything changed so now you think that he did nothing for your birthday. So I brought cupcakes to share with everyone."
On the way home I called John and told him that my mom brought cupcakes to the meet and she told me what he had planned. He said, "well we were still going to try to do something tonight." WHOOPS. The beans got spilled. While Ashlee and I were at the swim meet he decided he would go buy me a new computer for my birthday. After paying for the computer, Costco informed him that they didn't have the computer so they had to refund his money. Poor guy. He tried so hard, but nothing was going as planned. When I got home he said "this is why I don't do birthdays."
In spite of everything, John and my friends Meliesa and Heidi were still able to pull something together. Saturday night we all went to dinner at Olive Garden. Went bowling and went out for dessert. Everything worked out just fine and I am grateful for my hubby and my friends for thinking of me and going through all this trouble to make sure that I had a birthday to remember.
2 comments:
glad you are gettng some extra TLC - even if the plans went south for a time - dinner and bowling sounds like great fun!
sorry to miss your B-day -- and I believe I missed my dear brothers too - SO Happy B-Day to you both - and many more..
sounds like it was crazy to get anything to work out. Happy later birthday!
Post a Comment