Friday, April 08, 2011

Seriously...not turning out to be a good weekend

So far this weekend is off to a rough start.  It's been a rough week and I guess it's just going to continue on into the weekend.  Ashlee has had a cough for at least a month now.  The last two weeks it has gotten worse. Mikayla has had a rash since Tuesday that won't go away.  Thursday I decided I better call the doctor and get an appointment.  Today after school I took the girls to the doctor and ended up at the hospital.  The doctor thinks Ashlee could have pneumonia or whooping cough.  So they are running some tests.  They started her on antibiotics and will have some results in the morning and more results Monday or Tuesday. 
I am not thrilled about this.  I think she got sick from the doctors office.  A month ago I took her to the doctor.  From the waiting room I could see the doctor putting on a mask, gloves, etc before going into a room to see a patient.  I thought man,  whoever is in there has something bad.  I don't want my kids in that room.  When it was our turn to go into a room they told us to go into that same room.  I told them I didn't want to go in there because whoever just left there must have some disease if the doctor went through all that to go into a room. They said it was fine and explained that the doctor had to do a nasal swab and patients usually sneeze with that procedure so that's why he took the extra precautions.  I said: "so that kid must have H1N1".  The doctor said "no actually I think he has whooping cough."  This probably being the reason why Ashlee may have whooping cough!
Mikayla has had a rash since Tuesday.  Despite benadryl, zyrtec and hydrocortizone cream nothing is improving.  The doctor said this type of rash is associated with strep.  He did a rapid strep test.  Sure enough, she is positive.  No sore throat, no symptoms what so ever, besides a rash and she has strep.   Looks like we will be pretty much home bound this weekend trying to get the girls healthy again.  I guess I have lots of disinfecting to do tomorrow.....

4/13/11 Update:  The test results finally came back.   Ashlee does NOT have pnuemonia or whooping cough.  They think she either has a bad virus or something wrong with her airways like asthma.  The antibitoics are helping, and they are putting her on a couple inhalers as well.  Hopefully we are on the right track!

3 comments:

Elisha said...

I'm sorry to hear you guys are having a ruff weekend.. Stay hydrated and warm and watch lots movies... Get healthy soon...

Anonymous said...

Libby - a soft hugs to you all -- praying for a better tomorrow ..

Anonymous said...

sound like to me, you all need to drink some creek water